Monday, October 22, 2007

Negotiation #6- Dirty Stuff

My role as The Agency in Dirty Stuff was unclear to me. My one request is that we could go over the roles with the Dr. Strange, before we start the negotiations, as some of the roles can be a bit confusing to me, as I do not have a business background. I think having some more knowledge of my role, will help equip me better. These negotiations are great learning tools and I am learning alot from you guys!

This negotiation was interesting to watch the group dynamics in action. I was most impressed with all my classmates, as they really got into all their roles. Laura Ellen, especially, had great negotiation skills, as she interacted with Scott. She kept the level of communication open with all members, asking questions, opinions, and working to come to an agreement, especially with Scott. Laura Ellen worked hard to defend the employees rights, if their was a shutdown, the cleanup method procedures and policies. Her biggest challenge, it appears to me, was trying to get Dirty Stuff to comply with her expectations of the employees rights.

Scott felt backed in a corner, from my observation, as he defended his factory. I really kept pushing the fact, that we could or would close the plant down. This really got him upset, and that was not my goal, only to try to figure out a way of getting him to accept the reality.

Amy's role of advocate for the enviroment was well played out. She was very adamant about pushing her strong concerns that Dirty Stuff would have on the environment. I wanted her to know as The Agency, that we would fully back her up, and we would closely be involved in the evaluation and monitoring at each site.

I feel one of my biggest challenges was understanding some of the business terminology in this negotiation. Another challenge, compiled ontop of that, was not knowing really what each person's objective or motive was behind their role. Another factor, is it is hard for me to act out the role, when I don't understand it.

No comments: