Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Negotiation #2 "The Blender"

I happened to be the Complaints and Return Clerk for a large dept store. The Customer (Scott)
approached me informing me that he had recently bought a blender at our dept store, and it was deficient. Scott wants to return his blender. Scott had three strikes against him regarding getting a refund back. 1. He was carrying it back to me "out of the box". 2. It was broken now and can't be resold 3. His reciept was past 10 days past- which policy is up to 7 days to return for a full refund. We sat silent for a few minutes not sure of what position to take next! Scott suggested that he swap out his broke Blender for the display item. I am not sure now what happened to that suggestion, but I had made a suggestion that I write the manufacturer on behalf of my customer. They can send him a new one and he will keep the blender. If that doesn't work, he can come back to the store and we can decide what to do then.
I thought this negotiation went very well and we each had a suggestion that suited each of our needs and dilemma. My customer was complaint and polite, much different than what had been stated on my paper, so I was happy with that.

No comments: